- Panchforan or Indian Five spice is a blend of 5 aromatic spices.
- It is a quintessential spice from the state of Bengal, ‘panch’ means five and ‘phoron’ means tempering in Bengali.
- The frying of these spices releases strong aroma and flavours in the oil.
- Amma used to have her Kadhi tempered with Panchforan and it tasted divine. You would bite in different spice every time.
- Sometimes it would be Saunf or Kalonji, each adding their own flavour to the dish.
Add an edge to your daals, veggies or meats by tempering them with Panchforan.